Friday, March 09, 2012

Using Corn Flakes as Chicken Coating


If you read what I've written a lot, you may already know I am a stockpiler of groceries. Not a stockpiler as in hoarder -- no, just that I stock up on enough (usually about 6-weeks' worth of something I use) so that I won't have to pay full price. There is actually a procedure to this that isn't hard to learn. I tell you about how to stockpile here.

One thing I stockpiled was Kellogg's Corn Flakes...and I got the biiiig boxes of corn flakes too -- the 1 lb package. My justification was that corn flakes can be used for more things than just cereal. Chicken coating for example. For some reason, the thought never entered my mind "Um, Darla? You tried that several years ago and that was a dismal failure, don't you remember?" Well, that is what my mind SHOULD have told me. But my mind was on vacation that day and didn't tell me that, or if it did tell me, I didn't listen because my mind was on the "good deal" in front of me.

So recently I tried making the oven baked chicken coated in corn flakes again. I used the recipe on the box. I ran it by a few friends on Facebook and some gave it rave reviews. Personally, I couldn't get past the corn flake taste. It tasted like there were corn flakes on the chicken. Probably because there were corn flakes on the chicken.

If you decide you want to use corn flakes as chicken coating, go for it. But my advice would be the crush those corn flakes SMALL. Make them microscopic. I thought we crushed our really well (we used a rolling pin and had the corn flakes inside a gallon sized Ziploc type bag.) I know you know I have the propensity to screw up a recipe, but I promise I did not. I followed the recipe to the letter, and even used my digital meat thermometer. j

Mental note to never make this again. But it was worth a shot. I gave one of the boxes of cereal to my neighbor and she LOVES Kellogg's Corn Flakes and eats it daily, so at least I was able to help a neighbor.

No comments: