Sunday, December 09, 2012

Impossibly Easy Mini Cheeseburger Pies

A couple days ago, I received a calendar from the nice folks at Betty Crocker.  I joked on my personal Facebook page and called them "the sadists at Betty Crocker,"  after I did this recipe...but I swear I was just kidding. 


Yes this is easy but not "impossibly easy." I don't know where they got that idea. It would be kind of complicated for a beginning cook, if only for the number of bowls, spoons, measuring cups, frying pans, muffin tins, etc that are used in the recipe. It is not a terribly hard recipe, but there is going to be more cleaning up than there is for an average recipe.

Also for future reference, Betty Crocker...put some COUPONS in the calendar! Please, please please. We love coupons.

Ok, here is the recipe. My notes in blue.

Burger Mixture:
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz)

Baking Mixture
1/2 c milk
1/2 cup Original Bisquick mix
2 eggs

Garnishes, if desired
12 mini kosher dill pickles
1 medium tomato, chopped
ketchup and mustard

1. Heat oven to 375 F. Spray 12 regular size muffin cups with cooking spray.
Don't be clever like I was and try to use paper cupcake liners...the mixture stuck impossibly to the paper. Don't second guess recipes. Just do what they say and trust them. Learn from my fail.

2. In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Cool for 5 minutes; stir in Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and cheese.
I know that Worcestershire sauce tends to be expensive...DO buy Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce -- it's worth it. I've tried the store brands and they are just not as tasty and it makes a worthwhile difference.

3. In medium bowl, stir baking mixture ingredients with a whisk or fork until blended. Spoon 1 scant tablespoon baking mixture into each muffin cup. Top with about 1/4 cup burger mixture. Spoon 1 tablespoon baking mixture onto burger mixture in each muffin cup.
I used measuring scoops for these tasks.

4. Bake about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, and muffin tops are golden brown. Cook 5 minutes. With think knife, loosen sides of muffins from pan; remove from pan and place top side up on cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes longer, and serve with garnishes.

Family verdict -- 1 daughter liked them, ate 2 of them. 2 sons and  1 daughter would not even taste it. I think for the young ones, it was my use of the paper liners -- that made them think CAKE, and having ground beef and cheese in something that you traditionally think of as holding CAKE is a big turn off.

Idea: I think these would be fun done with sausage and in a smaller size, like the mini muffins, as a side dish for a brunch/buffet type event. 

No comments: