Monday, March 05, 2012

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

I am in search of the "perfect" homemade macaroni and cheese receipe. A friend sent me this one, but I haven't tried it yet. A few more ingredients than I prefer to use, but I do like that it seems to be a basic recipe. However, I am trying to get away from processed foods like Velveeta. This has Velveeta in it, but I may make an exception just this once. In general, Velveeta can be pretty expensive too and I have been wanting to improve food value and cut costs. So here is the recipe, keep in mind that I have not cooked this yet.

Southern Style Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:
2 lbs elbow macaroni
3-4 garlic cloves, pressed or diced
1 stick real butter
32 oz. Velveeta Cheese, cut into cubes
2 eggs slightly beaten
4 cups milk (half and half is really good too!)
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (grated sharp cheddar cheese for top approx. 1 cup)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 - 2 tsp salt 2 tsp ground dry mustard

Instructions:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly grease pan to bake the macaroni and cheese in (Use a cast iron dutch oven, but 9X13x2 will work. And have extra pans ready this recipe makes a lot.)

Slightly beat the eggs into the milk and let stand to room temp while cooking the macaroni, so eggs will not cook when it hits the hot macaroni. Cook macaroni until tender, in an extra large pot, then drain melt butter and cook garlic until translucent.

Put the macaroni back in the big pot, add the butter and garlic. Start stirring! Add the cheese and stir as it melts in the hot macaroni, add the milk and egg mixture, salt and pepper and dry mustard. Stir until all ingredients are well mixed and very creamy.

Pour into baking dishes or pan and top with sharp cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 until browned on top and knife stuck in the middle comes clean. Depending on the size of the pan - 20 min for a small pan, 30-45 min for a large pan.

Notes:

Hints: I have found that real butter is one of the mainstays, it holds the flavors together and margarine just doesn't taste as good. I like real cream but it is really rich, sometimes I use cream and milk. Sharp cheddar cheese is important for the sharp flavor; mild cheddar doesn't have the same taste. Of course the best way to insure a great dish is cast iron, but even the disposable pans still work well.

No comments: