Thursday, July 29, 2010

Lasagna

This is another recipe from the Bethel Bur-ton Homemaker Cookbook (1986) that is one I've been using for years. It's a good one because it replaces more expensive ingredient like ricotta cheese with cottage cheese.

I've modified it with my own notes to make our lives easier. :)

1 lb ground beef
2 TBSP olive oil
2 cloves garlic chopped (or 1/2 to 1 tsp garlic powder to save time)

1 12-ounce can tomato paste (or two 6-oz cans)
2 cups water
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 lb lasagna noodles
1/2 lb Mozzarella cheese (I prefer it sliced for this, but you can use shredded)
3/4 lb cottage cheese (this is about 12 ounces, if you can't find a 12 oz package, get 16 oz package and just leave some of it in the container...the recipe is pretty flexible so you don't have to be exact, just take a guess)
2 eggs (probably large size, but I've used medium size too and all worked fine)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (I've made it without this sometimes, because it is an expensive ingredient...but it is slightly better - creates thicker sauce, so if you have it, use it)


Brown beef in skillet with olive oil and garlic. Add tomato paste and water and rest of seasonings. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook noodles in boiling water until tender. Drain and rinse. Fill 9"x13" rectangular casserole with alternate layers of noodles, sliced mozzarella, cottage cheese (mixed with eggs) , tomato and meat sauce and grated Parmesan, ending with sauce and topping with Parmesan.

Bake at 375 till cheese is bubbly and heated through.
I usually bake it about 20 minutes.

If you decide to use the type of lasagna noodles that are no cook, then follow the directions on the package for cooking them. I've tried them for this recipe, and I didn't like it as much, but it worked. I increased the amount of water in the recipe for those noodles. It wasn't really worth it for me. I usually use the regular lasagna noodles, and prepare them ahead of making the sauce, so they have some time to cool off a bit before I need to handle them!

1 comment:

Margaret Ropp said...

When I make lasagna, I use tongs to pull the noodles out of the water...then I don't have to worry about burning my fingers ;)